Consultant - Biostatistics and ResearchSubmit ResuméLink
Position Title : Consultant - Biostatistics and Research
Duty Station : Manila (Global) Administrative Centre, Philippines
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE Type of Appointment : Consultant, Six Months Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 06 November 2019
Under the direct supervision of and in close coordination with the IOM Global Radiology Coordinator, working with and IOM the Teleradiology system specialist and IOM Teleradiology research assistant as needed.
Nature of the consultancy: Biostatistics and research expert for assisting the data analysis and draft report for research project collaboration between IOM and Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND) on the accuracy of the Computer Aided Detection of TB on chest x-ray for the study to be done in the IOM Global Teleradiology and Quality Control (QC) Center.
Target: Total 6 of months
IOM Project to which the Consultancy is contributing: Technical assistance on the research projects under IOM Global Teleradiology and QC programs, with project code (MH00.49)
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- The Research data preparation, statistical analysis and draft report writing for the study project on ‘the accuracy of the CAD4TB software for TB detection and comparison with the radiologist Chest X-ray (CXR) reading’
- Drafting the study proposal and data analysis plan for ‘secondary data analysis on the association of CXR findings suggestive of TB with culture results for different resettlement country x-ray reporting forms to see the efficiency of the different reporting form in detecting TB’.
- The Data analysis and report of the stat report on IOM Global Teleradiology Quality Control (QC) study data from 2015 to 2018
Tasks to be performed under this contract:
The consultant in close coordination with the IOM global Radiology Coordinator and Epidemiologist from Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND) and working with the IOM Teleradiology research assistant will have the following responsibilities at IOM Manila Teleradiology Center
Review the study protocol for computer-aided Detection (CAD) study, and other materials provided by IOM
Review literature for the studies and write the background review with proper citations and the gaps in the existing research works.
- Review the research objective and analysis plan and identify the appropriate study design to be used for the study in addressing the objectives
- Review and understand the detail methodological strategies and data analysis plan, and recommend if any revision needed on the analytical methods to be used for the study
- Design a thorough plan for the analysis of the data and carry out the necessary coding of programs to perform this analysis;
- Identify Possible limitations which may affect the analysis and the report
- Perform the data preparation extracting the dataset, merging various sources of data, linking up with additional information, and performing manual matching, using STATA statistical software program and/or ‘R” and working with IOM Teleradiology technical team as needed
- The data preparation includes but not limited to data cleaning, merging, validation, renaming and generating and creating as needed,
- Produce the detail descriptive and analytical statistical analysis using the datasets as per the agreed statistical analysis plan,
- Document the do file and the log files or multiple clearly labeled sub-files and the final data set and present to the supervisor, so that the analytical results and tables will be automatically created from the analysis of do files as needed
- Write the draft report statistical results following the standard format writing with tables and graphs, and Reference,
- Discuss and share the flies to the supervisor for comments and final inputs, and finalize the report based on the inputs and comments from the supervisor.
- The consultant and IOM Teleradiology will agree on specific deliverables tied to a certain number of days, and the consultant will be paid once those deliverables are met each month.
Tangible and Measurable Outputs of the Work Assignment
- The review and summary of the research protocol, variables and analysis plan for the study on CAD,
- Preparing the final data set after merging the different data set, extracting from different sources, cleaning and validation for the study on CAD
- The final clean do file and the log files or clearly labelled sub-files and the final data set presented to the supervisor,
- The draft tables and graphs on the statistical analysis results presented
- Revision and finalization of the stat analysis based on feedbacks
- The final draft report with the results, with discussion and recommendation.
- Revision of the study report base on the feedback from IOM and FIND
- The prepare report of draft proposal on the study on the secondary data analysis on the association of the CXR findings on the different CXR reporting forms and culture result,
- The prepare of the draft stat report on the study on IOM Global Teleradiology QC for US cases for the different locations.
- Finalize the report of draft proposal on the study on the secondary data analysis on the association of the CXR findings on the different CXR reporting forms and culture result,
- Finalize the stat report on the study on IOM Global Teleradiology QC for US cases for the different locations.
Realistic Delivery Dates and Details as to how the work must be delivered
a) The review and summary of the research protocol, variables. Literature and analysis plan for the study on CAD,
b) Preparing the final data set after merging the different data set, extracting from different sources, cleaning and validation for the study on CAD
c) The final clean do file and the log files or clearly labelled sub-files and the final data set presented to the supervisor,
d) The draft tables and graphs on the results presented
e) The final draft report with the results, discussion and recommendation.
f) The review report of draft proposal on the study on the secondary data analysis on the association of the CXR findings on the different CXR reporting forms and culture result,
g) The review of the draft stat report on the study on IOM Global Teleradiology QC for US cases on,
h) Revision and finalization of the stat analysis based on feedbacks
i) Revision and finalization of the study report base on the feedback from IOM and FIND
j) Finalize the report of draft proposal on the study on the secondary data analysis on the association of the CXR findings on the different CXR reporting forms and culture result,
l) Finalize the stat report on the study on IOM Global Teleradiology QC for US cases for the different locations.
m) Present and deliver all final reports
n) Make final adjustments based on the final feedback
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- Timeliness, delivering the results on the expected dates
- Completeness and quality of each proposal and analysis plans confirmed by the supervisor on the results delivered
- The quality of the analysis produced in relation to the standards
- The completeness, clearness and quality of the data analysis
- The completeness and clearness of the written stat reports for each corresponding objective
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Biostatistics, or Public health with major in statistics, or epidemiology Plus Bachelor’s degree in statistics or related fields
- Knowledge and experience in medical research, advanced data analysis work and using big medical datasets
- Advanced statistical programming skills in STATA and/or ‘R” are required
- Excellent writing skills and time management and keeping deadlines
- Familiarity with other statistical software and IOM Migration health system like MIMOSA would be advantageous
For this position, fluency in English is required. Working knowledge in Spanish or French is an advantage.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data
Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
IOM is an intergovernmental organization, and as such is exempted of all taxes in the Philippines. Therefore, it is not obligated to retain any taxes that should be owed to the Government of the Philippines as part of the execution of this contract. It is the sole responsibility of the contractor to comply with any fiscal obligations that might be applicable.
The ownership of intellectual products developed during this project will be shared with the government entities partaking in its creation, as well as IOM’s regional office. Government agencies and the cooperating agency must be warranted visibility and recognition, through the use of their logos in every document and any other material that might be a result of these intellectual production. Applications received later or that do not specify the name of the call will not be considered.
This call is open only to Philippine Nationals legally authorized to work in the country.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com by 06 November 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
- At least 5 year(s) of working experience in the related field is required for this position.
- Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor's/College Degree, Post Graduate Diploma / Master's Degree on Actuarial Science, Mathematics.
- Preferably Supervisor / Senior Associate (5 yrs and up experience) specializing in Actuarial Science/Statistics or equivalent.
- Salary between PHP 134,999.00 and PHP 135,000.00
- Location: Makati City, NCR.
- Contract, Temporary position(s) are available.
Being a member of the IOM team requires the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity. As an international organization with a global mandate, IOM also aims to maintain an equitable geographical balance among its staff. As such, its recruitment efforts target, but are not necessarily limited to, nationals of its Member States. IOM is an equal opportunity employer and seeks committed professionals with a wide variety of skills in the field of migration. IOM staff work in multi-cultural environments, in which diversity and cultural sensitivity are valued.